Mike's Texas Sized Taquitos!. Those flautas were long, thick and cooked in a mix of vegetable oil and lard topped with a spicy jalapeno sauce. But we are using regular corn tortillas as many people in Mexico. Rolled Tacos are one of my favorite eats.
In Spanish, flauta means "flute," which leads us to our first distinction. Both flautas and taquitos are rolled around filling for a cylindrical shape, convenient for handheld consumption. Those committed to the subtle distinctions between the two, however, may roll flautas. You can have Mike's Texas Sized Taquitos! using 26 ingredients and 21 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mike's Texas Sized Taquitos!
- You need of Boiled Chicken.
- It's 1 box of 32 oz Chicken Broth.
- You need 3 large of Trimmed Chicken Breasts.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Onion Powder.
- You need 1 tsp of Garlic Powder.
- It's 1 tsp of Ground Cumin.
- It's 2 tbsp of Lime Juice.
- You need 1 tbsp of Dried Cilantro Or 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro.
- It's 1/4 tsp of Each: Cayenne - Black Pepper - Salt & 1/8 tsp Mexican Oregeno.
- It's of Taquito Construction & Garnishment Items.
- You need 1 small of Purple Onion [chopped].
- It's 1 large of Tomato [chopped with seeds removed].
- It's 1 large of Bowl Raw Shreadded Cabbage.
- It's 2 cup of Shreadded Mexican 3 Cheese.
- It's 1 of White Onion [chopped].
- It's 1 cup of Fresh Cilantro.
- It's 1 box of Toothpicks.
- You need 1 can of Spray Pam.
- You need 2 large of Jalapeños [minced - optional].
- Prepare 8 large of 12" or 8" Flour Tortillas.
- You need of Sides.
- You need 1 tub of Sour Cream.
- Prepare 1 jar of Mild Red Salsa.
- You need 1 jar of Hot Red Salsa.
- You need 1 tub of Fresh Guacamole.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Chopped Chives.
Place taquito seam-side down on the baking sheet. After rolling the taquitos, place them in a gallon sized freezer bag. You should be able to fit all of them in one bag. Nope, those aren't tortillas you see—it's cheese!
Mike's Texas Sized Taquitos! instructions
- When cutting or trimming chicken, keep it seperate from everything else [cutting boards and other vegetables] and use a seperate knife to avoid any potential cross contamination. Wash hands regularly as well. Below is a great example of what your chicken should look like upon purchase..
- Wash and trim fat from chicken..
- Place all items in the Boiled Chicken category in a pot..
- Boil chicken for 20-25 minutes. Stick a knife in the thickest part of breasts. If fluid runs clean, your chicken is done. If pink fluid rises, your chicken isn't done. Boil 5 minutes more..
- After chicken is fully cooked, place in a separate bowl and allow it to cool just slightly..
- Finely finger shread your chicken..
- Once shreadded, take 2 tbs of your chicken broth and pour it on your chicken..
- Sprinkle moistened chicken lightly with the spices you used in your chicken boil, except Mexican Oregeno and lime juice. Also add salt to taste. You'll need more salt than any other spice but be careful not to over-salt. Mix shreadded chicken..
- Repeat this same process once more and add 1 cup of shreadded Mexican 3 Cheese..
- Heat tortillas just slightly in the microwave for 10 seconds. Place chicken mixture on the warmed tortillas end closest to you. Add a line of cheese to the top of your chicken. Press chicken down to firm and begin to roll your tortilla up tightly away from you..
- Run a toothpick through the end of the tortilla roll as shown in the photo below. You may need 2 toothpicks to hold your Taquitos if you've over packed them..
- Lightly spray the visible parts of the toothpicks with Pam to keep them from burning. That's the yellow coloration your seeing in the picture above around the toothpick. It's Pam Butter Spray. I was out of Pam Olive Oil Spray. Or you can soak the toothpicks in water for 3 minutes..
- At the ends of your Taquitos you'll notice empty spaces. Fill those holes with chicken and pack in tightly..
- Place on no stick or lined and sprayed cookie sheet and sprinkle each lightly with lime juice..
- For an even crisper roll, you can brush a basic Garlic Cilantro Olive Oil blend over the tops and bake. For a softer, more chewy roll, you can add shredded cheese to the tops before baking..
- Cook at 425° for 20-25 minutes flipping over once during baking. Since your chicken is pre-cooked, you're only looking to melt your cheese and crisp up your tortillas. Watch them closely..
- Line a serving tray with shreadded cabbage and sprinkle with chopped chives or Cilantro..
- REMOVE ALL TOOTHPICKS and place Taquitos on plate..
- Garnish with tomatoes, onions and Cilantro..
- Serve with a variety of salsas, sour cream and guacamole..
- Authors Note: A delicious recipe for Guacamole can be found on my recipe page under, "Mike's Fiesta Guacamole." https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/345482-mikes-fiesta-guacamole.
May each one bring you a bite-sized pocket of blessing! Find taquitos stock images in HD and millions of other royalty-free stock photos, illustrations and vectors in the Shutterstock collection. Thousands of new, high-quality pictures added every day. Flavor is always on point and portion size is perfect to fill you up. You can definitely tell they put a lot of love into their food and service.